BAPTIST HOME MISSIONS IN NORTH AMERICA; Including a Full Report on the Proceedings and Addresses of the Jubilee Meeting, and a Historical Sketch of the American Baptist Home Mission Society, Historical Tables, Etc. 1832-1882
Covina, California, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
This Jubilee history contains an extensive account of the BHMS' work among Freedman in the South, which began during the Civil War and encompassed not only evangelism but an extensive attempt to build educational institutions after the war; outreach to the Chinese on the West Coast; immigrant groups, including Germans, Scandinavians, and French Canadians; Native Americans; and the Spanish-speaking people of the Southwest. It also contains a detailed historical table listing the Society's missionaries, state by state.
This copy bears the ownership inscription of Mrs. Florence Case (1859-1945), a Wisconsin native who came to California in 1874 and settled in Pasadena in 1912. Florence was a 60-year member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, in which she was quite active, and belonged to Tremont Baptist Church in Pasadena.
Octavo: 619 p. Original brown cloth binding, with gilt titles, elaborate black and blind stamping, and decorative endpapers. The front hinge is cracked, but still quite sound. Some general shelfwear to the boards, largely at the corners and tips.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Johnson Rare Books & Archives (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- BAPTIST HOME MISSIONS IN NORTH AMERICA; Including a Full Report on the Proceedings and Addresses of the Jubilee Meeting, and a Historical Sketch of the American Baptist Home Mission Society, Historical Tables, Etc. 1832-1882
- Book Condition
- Used - Good
- Quantity Available
- First Edition
- Baptist Home Mission Rooms
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- Religion, Christian Missionaries, Baptist Church, African Americans, Western Americana, Chinese Americans
Terms of Sale
Johnson Rare Books & Archives
As proud members of the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America, we uphold our association's code of ethics. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, all items are returnable within ten days of delivery. Materials must be returned in the same condition as sent. If you have any questions or concerns, simply call us to discuss.
About the Seller
About Johnson Rare Books & Archives
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- Minor wear resulting from a book being place on, and taken from a bookshelf, especially along the bottom edge.
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year