Birth, Life and Acts of King Arthur..: and in the End le Morte Darthur.
by MALORY, Sir Thomas
- See description
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
BEARDSLEY, Aubrey, [illustrator]. MALORY, Sir Thomas. The Birth Life and Acts of King Arthur of His Noble Knights of the Round Table Their Marvellous Enquests and Adventures the Achieving of the San Greal and in the End Le Morte Darthur with the Dolourous Death and Departing Out of This World of Them All. With an introduction by Professor John Rhys. And a note on Aubrey Beardsley by Aymer Vallance. [London: J.M. Dent & Sons], 1927.
Third edition. Limited to 1,600 copies. Large quarto (11 1/2 x 9 inches; 292 x 230 mm) . lv, 538 pp. With 365 designs by Beardsley, including twenty-two plates (six of which are double-page), decorative borders, initials, and chapter headings (the chapter heading on p. 368 previously unpublished).
Original black cloth over beveled boards stamped in gilt on front cover and spine in a design by Beardsley. Top edge gilt, others uncut. In rare original pictorial dust jacket. Previous owner's bookplate on front endpaper. An 8-inch closed tear through page 183, with the loss of about one letter. Jacket with some chips and small splits at jacket corners and spine Extremities. Jacket a bit soiled and rubbed and with some tape repairs. Overall a very good copy of the book in the scarce dust jacket.
This is the third and most complete edition of Beardsley's Le Morte Darthur, and includes eleven designs and ornaments that had been omitted from the previous editions.
Ray, The Illustrator and the Book in England, 314 (describing the first edition).
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Heritage Book Shop, LLC (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Birth, Life and Acts of King Arthur..
- MALORY, Sir Thomas
- BEARDSLEY, Aubrey; VALLANCE, Aymer|RHYS, John
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- J.M. Dent
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- English Literature|Illustrated Books|Arthurian Legends
Terms of Sale
Heritage Book Shop, LLC
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Heritage Book Shop, LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Generally refers to minor discoloration or staining.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Top Edge Gilt
- Top edge gilt refers to the practice of applying gold or a gold-like finish to the top of the text block (the edges the pages...
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...
- Beveled edges, or beveled boards, describe a technique of binding in which the edges of book boards have been cut into slanted...
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year