Complete Poems & Prose of Walt Whitman 1855... 1888. Authenticated & Personal Book (handled by W.W.)... Portraits from Life... Autograph
by Whitman, Walt
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
[ii], 382, 374, 140, 2 pp. With three inserted portrait plates + portrait on photo-pictorial title-page. Bound in publisher's original half green cloth and marbled sides, paper spine label (Myerson and BAL's A bindings with priority assumed). Most copies had a handwritten limitation statement by Traubell on the verso of the leaf containing the "Note at Beginning," but a few copies of the A binding did not; this is one of the ones that did not. According to Myerson it was therefore sent out before February 14, 1889, earlier than others. Presented in custom blue cloth-covered clamshell box with morocco lettering piece on spine. Very Good with two small chips to spine label, rubbing and light wear; front hinge cracked, mild toning to contents.Many pages unopened, as issued.
The definitive edition of Whitman's work issued in his lifetime, published just three years before his death. It is comprised of printings of slightly altered plates of the Philadelphia, 1882, edition of Leaves of Grass; the Glasgow, 1883 edition of Specimen Days & Collect; and the 1888 second printing of November Boughs; plus, the first printings of the 1-page "Note at Beginning" and the 2-page "Note at End." Myerson A 2.7m. BAL 21431.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Burnside Rare Books, ABAA (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Complete Poems & Prose of Walt Whitman 1855... 1888. Authenticated & Personal Book (handled by W.W.)... Portraits from Life... Autograph
- Whitman, Walt
- Book condition
- Signed Limited Edition
- Printed for the Author by Ferguson Brothers
- Place of Publication
- [Camden, NJ]
- Date Published
- Leaves of Grass, signed, limited, Horace Traubell
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
Burnside Rare Books, ABAA
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Burnside Rare Books, ABAA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- spine label
- The paper or leather descriptive tag attached to the spine of the book, most commonly providing the title and author of the... [More]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- A state in which all or some of the pages of a book have not been separated from the adjacent pages, caused by a traditional... [More]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [More]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [More]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,... [More]
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]
- Bibliography of American Literature (commonly abbreviated as BAL in descriptions) is the quintessential reference work for any... [More]
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has been... [More]
- clamshell box
- A protective box designed for storing and preserving a bound book or loose sheets. A clamshell box is hinged on one side, with... [More]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet... [More]