Gone With The Wind.
by MITCHELL, MARGARET:
- See description
Dorchester, Dorset, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Margaret Mitchell only published one complete novel, but it was quite the book - Gone With the Wind earned her the Pulitzer Prize in 1937 and National Book Award for 1936. The epic romance tale set in and around Atlanta, Georgia during the American Civil War has remained a bestseller, even before the equally popular film starring Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh was made in 1939.
International Collectors Library is not a first edition. You can get this book for $3 on Amazon
Gone with the Wind belongs to that finite group of books one can confidently call seminal.This novel traces, with heart wrenching passages and beautifully set scenes, the death of the "Old South". The horror and cruelty of war is adroitly used to contrast with the slow beauty of the South as it was, and which it can never be again. If a person has not read this book, their Education is incomplete.
I approached this book with trepidation. Would this be a book that glorified slavery and antebellum life? No, quite the contrary, although it provides rich description of the wealthy class before the Civil War.This book has an excellent story, well told, in which the characters are the symbols of their country. Scarlett is the United States, at first content and lazy with slavery, then hardened by war, and she shifts to be ruthlessly concerned with commerce and moving forward. Ashley is beautiful and pale, and represents the old south, which cannot adapt.You won't find better character development anywhere. This book is extremely well-written. Do yourself a favor and but a nice dusty one, so you can have that authentic feeling.This book is hugely feminist. It also tells a huge story, but is fast-paced, and will keep you locked in to the life of Scarlett.This is a significant book in American literature, but it is not dry. This book is a must-read.Abbey Rheinhartt.
This is my favorite book of all time. The characters are incredibly well written, as is the story line. Highly recommend reading. The copy I got from Biblio.com was in great condition even though it was used. I definitely plan on buying from them again.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
Terms of Sale
The Antique Map & Bookshop
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About The Antique Map & Bookshop
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Fore Edge
- The portion of a book that is opposite the spine. That part of a book which faces the wall when shelved in a traditional...
- Price Clipped
- When a book is described as price-clipped, it indicates that the portion of the dust jacket flap that has the publisher's...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Also known as book jacket, dust cover, or dust wrapper, a dust jacket is a protective and decorative cover for a book that is...