Life of Samuel Johnson, LL.D.: Comprehending an Account of His Studies and Numerous Works, in Chronological Order; a Series of His Epistolary Correspondence and Conversations with Many Eminent Persons; and Various Original Pieces of His Composition, never before published. The whole ex
by BOSWELL, James
- See description
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Contemporary half calf over marbled boards. Neatly rebacked to style, preserving the original gilt spine and burgundy and black morocco gilt lettering labels. A few minor marginal paper flaws, not affecting text. Some rubbing to boards and light tip wear. Overall, a fine set in the original binding and entirely uncut,
Courtney & Nichol Smith, pp. 172-173. Grolier, 100 English, 65. Pottle 79. Rothschild 463-465. Sterling 71. Tinker 338.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Heritage Book Shop, LLC (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Life of Samuel Johnson, LL.D.
- BOSWELL, James
- JOHNSON, Samuel
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- Printed by Henry Baldwin, for Charles Dilly
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- English Literature|Eighteenth-Century Literature
Terms of Sale
Heritage Book Shop, LLC
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Heritage Book Shop, LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- An exact copy of an original work. In books, it refers to a copy or reproduction, as accurate as possible, of an original...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the...
- Marbled boards
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- having had the material covering the spine replaced. ...
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...