by Nabokov, Vladimir
- See description
Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Lolita is widely regarded as one of the greatest books of the 20th Century. The cultural influence of Lolita cannot be understated, and numerous editions have been printed since 1955. The book has been made into movies, plays, and has sparked countless conversations about relationships and the nature of obsession. Even the covers of the later editions have sparked controversy, as they feature potentially suggestive depictions of the famous "nymphet". Unsurprisingly, Lolita is often at the top of banned books lists in high schools.
Read More: Identifying first editions of Lolita.
Vladimir Nabokov's postmodern masterpiece about a man's obsession with a young girl is nothing short of remarkable. Not only does Nabokov situate the story within the context of Cold War America, but he has the ability to make the reader sympathise with an otherwise immoral character. Through Nabokov's lyrical, poetic and deceptive writing, the story becomes at once comical and poignant. Underneath all the amusing and colourful metaphors and allusions to American popular culture is a deeply affecting story about obsession, innocence and unrequited love. As with Jack Kerouac's On The Road, the theme of 'the journey' is strongly emphasised throughout, as the lead character descends deeper into madness as he and his step-daughter travel around America. A cult classic and must-read, Lolita is the work of genius.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
Terms of Sale
Raptis Rare Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed.
About the Seller
About Raptis Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has been...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB...