In Our Time
by Hemingway, Ernest
- near fine
- Near Fine/Very Good
Portland, Oregon, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
In Our Time is the first published collection of Hemingway's short fiction. The book collects several of the author's short stories about American life in the early 1920's, just after WWI. A few of these stories focus on the character Nick Adams. First published in Paris in 1924 by Three Mountains Press under the title in our time - in all lower case - the first state of this work was a set of 18 vignettes and numbered 32 pages in total. Only 300 copies were printed, but due to a printing mistake, only 170 copies were released for sale. Each copy is numbered and bears the statement of limitation that reads "of 170 copies printed rives hand-made paper this is number�". The first American publication was in 1925 by Boni & Liveright. Although this is recognized as the next edition of the same work, it bears substantial differences. Twelve short stories have been added. Sixteen of the eighteen vignettes have been used as short pieces interspersed between the short stories. Two of the original vignettes have been rewritten as the short stories "The Revolutionist" and "A Very Short Story" and the work numbers 136 pages. Hemingway regretted the lowercased title and published this version as In Our Time .
"In Our Time" serves as the perfect introduction to Hemingway, and appropriately so as it was his first release entirely comprised of short stories. It's a quick read (150-200 pages) but nonetheless very powerful.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Burnside Rare Books, ABAA (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- In Our Time
- Hemingway, Ernest
- Book Condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Jacket Condition
- Very Good
- Quantity Available
- First Edition
- Boni & Liveright, Inc
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
Burnside Rare Books, ABAA
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Burnside Rare Books, ABAA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....