Portrait of the Dalai Lama
by BELL, Charles
- See description
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Publisher's original orange cloth. Front board stamped in gilt. Spine lettered and stamped in gilt. Minor stain to front board. Binding slightly skewed. Jacket chipped and creased a bit along edges and spine extremities. Jacket a bit dust soiled and with some tape repairs on the inside bottom of spine. Overall a very good copy.
"For more than twenty years the late Sir Charles Bell, acting as the Dali Lama's political adviser, was in a unique position to study him as a man, as a ruler, and as the head of a religion permeating the lives of many millions of people. It is an authoritative book, teeming with interest and detailed information, and as the central figure of the King-Priest emerges, so also does the astonishing background of the country and people which he ruled- the splendid mountainous scenery, the way of life and curious customs of the inhabitants, the amazing fortress-palace of the Dalai Lama on the Potala Hill and, above all, the little-known and ancient religious beliefs and practices of the country. Sir Charles Bell wrote much about Tibet, and it is fitting that this book, completed shortly before his death, should be, the most notable of his literary achievements." (From the front flap).
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
Terms of Sale
Heritage Book Shop, LLC
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Heritage Book Shop, LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Generally refers to minor discoloration or staining.
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year