by STEVENSON, Robert Louis
- See description
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Original rare royal blue diagonal fine-ribbed cloth with covers ruled in blind and spine ruled and lettered in gilt. Original black coated endpapers. Previous owner's bookplate on front pastedown. Contemporary ink inscription to bookplate owner Rev. Edward D. Elam on half-title. Headcap, tailcap and corners slightly bumped and rubbed. Spine slightly darkened and boards with some light spots. A few instances of finger smudging and page 137 rough opened at top margin, not affecting text. Still a near fine copy. Housed in a chemise and quarter blue morocco slipcase.
"Treasure Island established itself as a classic, drawing plaudits from the widest range of literary sensibilities. In 1890 W.B. Yeats wrote to tell [Stevenson] that the book was the only one in which his seafaring grandfather had ever taken any pleasure and that he reread it on his deathbed with infinite satisfaction. Jack London, in so many ways RLS's true spiritual heir, declared: 'His Treasure Island will be a classic to go down with Robinson Crusoe, Through the Looking Glass and The Jungle Books'" (Frank McLynn, Robert Louis Stevenson, p. 203).
Beinecke 240-241. Gumuchian 5443. Morgan Library, Early Children's Books and Their Illustration, 206. Osborne Collection II, p. 1030. Prideaux 11.
Treasure Island is an adventure novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. The story was originally serialised in the children's magazine Young Folks under the title The Sea Cook over a period of several months from 1881-82. Traditionally considered a coming-of-age story, Treasure Island is the classic pirate tale, known for its superb atmosphere, character and action. It is one of the most frequently dramatised of all novels. The influence of Treasure Island on popular perception of pirates is vast, including treasure maps with an "X", schooners, the Black Spot, tropical islands, and one-legged seamen with parrots on their shoulders.
Great book, absolutely loved reading it.
A wonderful Penguin hard bound edition. Fun to read it again.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Heritage Book Shop, LLC (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Treasure Island
- STEVENSON, Robert Louis
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- Cassell & Company
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- English Literature|Children|Voyages and Travels|Pirates
Terms of Sale
Heritage Book Shop, LLC
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Heritage Book Shop, LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...
This Book’s Categories
- Children & Juvenile Children’s Fiction & Literature
- Fiction & Literature Action & Adventure
- Fiction & Literature Fiction by Region British Fiction
- Fiction & Literature Classic Literature
- Fiction & Literature English Fiction
- Fiction & Literature Historical Fiction
- Fiction & Literature Individual Authors Robert Louis Stevenson
- Fiction & Literature Mystery & Thrillers Mystery
- Children & Juvenile Juvenile & Young Adult Juvenile Fiction & Literature Juvenile Classics
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year