Under the Greenwood Tree: A Rural Painting of the Dutch School. By the Author of 'Desperate Remedies.' In Two Volumes.
by HARDY, Thomas
- See description
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
[HARDY, Thomas]. Under the Greenwood Tree. A Rural Painting of the Dutch School. By the Author of ‘Desperate Remedies.' In Two Volumes. London: Tinsley Brothers, 1872.
Rare first edition of Thomas Hardy's second novel. Two octavo volumes (7 3/8 x 4 7/8 inches; 188 x 124 mm). , 215, [1, blank]; , 216 pp. Complete with half-titles.
Original green sand-grain cloth over beveled boards. Covers stamped in black with an Oxford frame and spines ruled in gilt and black and lettered in gilt. A bit of rubbing to extremities and corners. Gilt on the spine with some rubbing. Hinges with some professional repairs. Previous owner's ink signature on front pastedown of each volume. Some foxing and staining, mostly at front and rear. Overall, a very good copy, in the scarce original cloth. Housed in slipcase.
After burning his first effort at a novel, and receiving scant attention upon the publication of Desperate Remedies, Hardy decided to devote himself strictly to architecture. "Nevertheless he could not keep his itching pen quiet very long. The very next year Under the Greenwood Tree appeared...[Hardy's early] novels are so instinct with the very soil of England, so penetrating in their psychology, so fresh and colorful, that they alone would have made any writer's fame" (Kunitz & Haycraft, pp. 276-277).
"Under the Greenwood Tree was published anonymously at 21s., in a edition presumably of 500 copies, early in June 1872" (Purdy).
Purdy, pp. 6-8. Sadleir 1117. Webb, pp. 5-6. Not in Wolff.
Under the Greenwood Tree or The Mellstock Quire: A Rural Painting of the Dutch School is a novel by Thomas Hardy, published anonymously in 1872. It was Hardy's second published novel, the last to be printed without his name, and the first of his great series of Wessex novels.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Heritage Book Shop, LLC (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Under the Greenwood Tree
- HARDY, Thomas
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- Tinsley Brothers
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- English Literature|Nineteenth-Century Literature
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
Heritage Book Shop, LLC
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Heritage Book Shop, LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Beveled edges, or beveled boards, describe a technique of binding in which the edges of book boards have been cut into slanted...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.