Falbalas and Franfreluches
by Barbier, George
- See description
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
'Falbalas and Franfreluches' (Frippery and Finery: Fashion Diaries) represents a literary and artistic collaboration of unusual elegance and sophistication. French illustrator, George Barbier (1882 - 1932) spared no effort in the making of this beautiful collection, using the finest pigments and up to thirty stencils per print to create images of the highest quality reflecting fashionable themes of the day. The plates portray romance amidst exotic lands and ages past, including a native American idyll on the Missouri, a languid mistress cocooned in a hammock in the tropical Antilles, high baroque debauchery, and, of course, a myriad of lovers depicted in Paris at the height of the chic 1920s. Each annual includes twelve pages of fine writing by Barbier's contemporaries in the Parisian scene including work by the great French novelist, Colette (1873 -1954), and the brilliant comic actress, Cecile Sorel (1873 - 1966).
A famed designer with many celebrated works in his portfolio, ‘Falbalas and Franfreluches' was the one publication project George Barbier ever worked on that was entirely his own, his playful masterpiece. Barbier retained creative control over the design and print-making production process; the result is a magnificent testament to pochoir printing and art deco design. Five annual issues, bound in their original glassine decorated pochoir wrappers (each issue comprising twelve letterpress pages with a separate decorated title page and twelve pochoir plates measuring 246 x 155 mm). All issues remain fine and fresh, lovingly preserved in a felt-lined black cloth clamshell box with paper label to spine.
All five volumes are in fine condition. An excellent set.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Rare Illustrated Books (AU)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Falbalas and Franfreluches
- Barbier, George
- George Barbier
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- First Edition
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- pochoir george barbier prints print making colette Falbalas and Franfreluches (Frippery and Finery: Fashion Diaries) knights of the bracelet
- Bookseller catalogs
- Private Press; Fashion; Art Deco;
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
Rare Illustrated Books
Incorrect book/not as described/damaged: You are eligible for a full refund of the purchase price, including original shipping costs, if your return is a result of an error on the part of Rare Illustrated Books. If we agree, you will receive return shipping too. To receive a refund, you must return your item directly to Rare Illustrated Books within 14 days of the estimated delivery date and in the same condition as you received it.
Book did not arrive: You are eligible for a full refund of the purchase price including shipping costs if your book has not arrived 30 days past the estimated delivery date. If Rare Illustrated Books provides tracking information indicating the book has arrived, the return is void. In cases where the book is returned to Rare Illustrated Books for any of the following reasons, the refund price includes book price only: incomplete address provided by customer, unclaimed, returned to sender, or similar.
Change of mind: For the majority of our books, we are happy to accept returns if you have changed your mind. However, some books cannot be returned for this reason. We recommend contacting Rare Illustrated Books directly before initiating any returns, otherwise the return may be cancelled. Please do not ship the book until you have received confirmation from Rare Illustrated Books to do so. If we accept your request, you will be refunded the price of the book (not including original or return shipping charges).
About the Seller
About Rare Illustrated Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Clamshell Box
- A protective box designed for storing and preserving a bound book or loose sheets. A clamshell box is hinged on one side, with...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for...
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year