In Our Time
by Ernest Hemingway
- Very Good +
Waccabuc, New York, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
In Our Time is the first published collection of Hemingway's short fiction. The book collects several of the author's short stories about American life in the early 1920's, just after WWI. A few of these stories focus on the character Nick Adams. First published in Paris in 1924 by Three Mountains Press under the title in our time - in all lower case - the first state of this work was a set of 18 vignettes and numbered 32 pages in total. Only 300 copies were printed, but due to a printing mistake, only 170 copies were released for sale. Each copy is numbered and bears the statement of limitation that reads "of 170 copies printed rives hand-made paper this is number�". The first American publication was in 1925 by Boni & Liveright. Although this is recognized as the next edition of the same work, it bears substantial differences. Twelve short stories have been added. Sixteen of the eighteen vignettes have been used as short pieces interspersed between the short stories. Two of the original vignettes have been rewritten as the short stories "The Revolutionist" and "A Very Short Story" and the work numbers 136 pages. Hemingway regretted the lowercased title and published this version as In Our Time .
"In Our Time" serves as the perfect introduction to Hemingway, and appropriately so as it was his first release entirely comprised of short stories. It's a quick read (150-200 pages) but nonetheless very powerful.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Appledore Books, ABAA (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- In Our Time
- Ernest Hemingway
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good +
- Quantity Available
- Boni & Liveright
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- rare literary first editions, rare modern first editions, rare Hemingway first edititions
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
Appledore Books, ABAA
All books are offered subject to prior sale. Materials are returnable within 1 week of receipt provided prior notice is given.
About the Seller
About Appledore Books, ABAA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also...
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...